• Tip O’ the Mornin’, asparagus tip and mushroom omelet with shaved parmesan
• Wild Winter Mushroom Pâté, cumin-accented wild mushroom spread
• Homemade Veggie Burgers, vegetarian soy burgers
• Similar to humans, mushrooms naturally produce vitamin D following exposure to sunlight or a sunlamp: mushrooms’ plant sterol – ergosterol – converts to vitamin D when exposed to light.
• All mushrooms contain vitamin D, but growers also have the ability to increase D levels in mushrooms to a controlled amount by exposing them to ultraviolet light.
• Currently there are mushrooms available at retail, like portabellas exposed to light, for which approximately one mushroom can provide close to 400 IU of vitamin D (as listed in the USDA nutrient database, per an 84 gram serving).
The Mushroom Council is composed of fresh market producers or importers who average more than 500,000 pounds of mushrooms produced or imported annually. The mushroom program is authorized by the Mushroom Promotion, Research and Consumer Information Act of 1990 and is administered by the Mushroom Council under the supervision of the Agricultural Marketing Service. Research and promotion programs help to expand, maintain and develop markets for individual agricultural commodities in the